Monday, January 5, 2009

Ten Years Later



This Phil Johnson blogpost caused me to flashback a decade to when I first heard the acronym Y2K. I had recently joined the pastoral staff of the Dearborn Baptist Church in Aurora, IN, and on the way home from a Sunday morning service my wife asked me what I thought about Y2K. I looked at her and said, "Why to what?" I was completely clueless concerning Y2K. My wife had been talking with some other young wives who were contemplating preparations for the technological meltdown that was sure to occur. I was aggravated, not so much at the silliness of the impending cataclysm, but at my total ignorance of the discussion. I quickly learned that in our church there were a few families who were sold on the certainty of civilization's devastation. From one man in particular I was given some "resources" which would, he said, inform me about Y2K and help me to prepare.

Informed indeed! The cover page of one particular pamphlet pictured a man loaded down with weapons, and that was the general gist of most of the material. Needless to say, my wife and I need not fill one old 2L bottle with water. We didn't stockpile even one can of soup. I refused to discuss Y2K for fear of offending my friends who gave more credence to Y2K, as well as those church members who were sold (and vocal) on the idea.

I learned two things form that early ministry episode. First and foremost was from my pastor. He was not a Y2K "believer", and he preached a message early in 1999 entitled "Y2K DBC and You" which called people to, regardless of the social, technological, or financial climate, trust God and continue to faithfully serve Him.

The second lesson I learned was to rationally engage people, especially when there is a differnce of opinion, instead of fearfully disengaging. One can withdraw from confrontation, not only out of fear of rejection but out of fear of explosion. I learned, and am learning, that I must dialougue with others from a humble and Biblical perspective.

Hard to believe that's been ten years ago, but it has. Now if we can all just apply the lessons learned from Y2K to global warming...

4 comments:

sarah said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.



Sarah

http://www.thetreadmillguide.com

Matt @ The Church of No People said...

Hey Travis - just came across your blog today. I enjoyed your post here. Man, it's been 10 years already! It's hard to remember what we were all worked up over. Keep up the good work. God bless and happy blogging!

Karabeth said...

Hi Travis,

Tell Dianna and the boys "hi" from friends in SW OH. The name here is probably not familiar to you, but the picture should be.

Has it been 10 years since Y2K? And civilization as we know it was not destroyed? Guess we'll just need to keep serving the Lord until it is.

BTW, I tried to comment a minute ago and the web ate it. Perhaps I'm experiencing Y2K+10. :)

I enjoy the blog. Very spiritually thought provoking.

The Preacher's Wife

Travis said...

You're right. The Name threw me, but I'd know those faces anywhere! Thanks for your kind comments, and thanks for using the oxgoad.