Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Picking a President

Looks like I was wrong. I stated in this post that Hillary would not defeat Obama in Indiana. I stand corrected. Hillary was victorious in my Hoosier state; albeit by a narrow margin. I will say that the Clinton campaign was working the phones more than Obama's people. We received three Clinton calls to one Obama call yesterday.

It appears that Obama has virtually wrapped up the Democratic nomination, but Hillary
has vowed to continue the fight. She has most definitely put her money where mouth is. According to this article she has recently loaned herself $6.4 million. I believe that brings the total amount of personal funds loaned to the campaign to over $11 million. She is indeed the voice of the common (wo)man.

Of course, it matters not which candidate secures the Democratic nomination, because the DEMS will unify around their candidate regardless of how much blood they spill in the primary fight. Still, the Democrats need to choose a candidate, and the nation must elect a President. So how does one pick a president? I have blogged about this
before, but Jonah Goldberg's May 7, 2008 NRO article - Give the Voters a Clue - also speaks to this issue. His article is wittier and more intelligent that mine, but that should be expected. He is the professional, and I the amateur. He always seems to employ at least word that I must look up. Today's example: Daedalian. But I have not mentioned his article because of an obscure Greek mythology reference. The final two paragraphs of his article are what resonated with me.

Whatever the true import of Obama’s relationship with Wright may be, or whatever the proper weight voters should give to his view that poor whites “cling” to guns, religion, and bigotry because they’ve suffered under bad economic policies, or, for that matter, whatever Clinton’s “sniper fire” story says about her, it strikes me as absurd to argue that these data are meaningless but their stance on a gas-tax holiday is of enduring importance.

We pick presidents for their judgment and values. Anything that gives us a clue as to what those might be is not only fair game, it is the game.(Emphasis mine)

I could not agree more.

No comments: