Friday, December 7, 2007

Romney's "Faith in America" Speech

Follow this link to read Governor Mitt Romney's "Faith in America" speech, delivered at the George H. W. Bush presidential library in College Station, Texas on Thursday, December 6th. I've also linked the coverage of the following news outlets:

Here are some opinions on Romney's speech:

The innocuous Romney speech did not move or sway my position on the former Governor in the least. I am often accused, or it is frequently assumed, that I favor Mike Huckabee because he is a Baptist, and that I do not support Mitt Romney because he is a Mormon.

Not true.

As I review the thin list of candidates for whom I could support, Mike Huckabee stands out above the rest. I will not support Rudy Giuliani; not now, not ever. I might be in favor of him as Attorney General, but not as President of the United States.

I do not support Mitt Romney because he is a political opportunist. To be elected governor of Massachusetts he had to be liberal on social issues; so he was. To earn the GOP Presidential nomination he has to be conservative on social issues; so he says he is. Whichever way the wind blows Romney hoists sail and heads in that direction.

My support for Huckabee has zero to do with his Baptist identity, and I do not withhold support for Romney because he is a Mormon. I wish this issue would die, but it will not, it cannot. We are doomed, it seems, to be forced to listen to and read journalists/pundits argue and wax eloquent on that which they are totally ignorant - theology.

2 comments:

Shane Vander Hart said...

I agree with you on Romney. His flip flopping is what has really turned me off.

Hey do you know what is with blogger not allowing you to put other blogs in when you comment?

Shane Vander Hart
http://shanevanderhart.wordpress.com

Travis said...

Thanks for the comment, Shane. I cn stomach political leaders who differ from me on religion, but not political leaders who constantly have a finger in the air.

As per Blogger, they have recently dropped the option for leaving your blog address with your comment. I guess they think this will encourage more people to sign up for Google/Blogger accounts. I think it's just going to tick a lot of people off.