Friday, November 16, 2007

Rounding Third and Heading for Home


Cincinnati icon Joe Nuxhall died late Thursday evening at the age of 79. Nuxhall had been admitted to the hospital Monday after experiencing difficulty breathing while visiting his oncologist. The hero of Hamilton had been undergoing chemotherapy since October to treat lymphoma, and had been battling many health problems over the last few years.

At 34 I was never able to see the Ol' Lefthander pitch for the Reds, but I religiously listened to his broadcasts of the Cincinnati Reds' games; along with his longtime radio partner and good friend Marty Brennaman. I enjoyed following the Reds. Marty and Joe were a huge part of that. The Reds broadcasts have not been the same without Joe, and not because he was a slick broadcaster. He wasn't. It was just good to have him in the booth. His passion for the Reds was contagious. His interaction with Marty often hilarious.

Below are some links about Joe Nuxhall.


1 comment:

Tim Ellsworth said...

It's a sad day for Cincy fans.

I know what it's like to have a connection to broadcasters, as I felt that way with Jack Buck. Here's a column I wrote back when he died in 2002.