Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering September 11

How could we ever forget?
September 11 was "the moment" in of my lifetime that I will always remember, not only the event but what I was doing, where I was, how I and all those around me responded. Well do I remember my pain. I hurt for those people who felt that plummeting to their death was preferable to being burnt alive. My heart grieved for the families who endured sleepless, stress filled nights wondering if their loved one(s) had miraculously escaped; only to eventually discover what they already knew but hated to realize. I burned with anger that anyone would have the audacity to attack us on our soil, and to do so in such a cowardly manner was nearly more than I could bear.
I remember pulling my wife and my boys close to my side. Even though I regularly tell my wife and my boys that I love them, I remember using that phrase with a greater frequency, and hugging and kissing them with each use of it.
I remember the respect I had (and have) for the emergency workers who tirelessly worked, and in many cases sacrificed their lives, doing their duty.
There is so much more. Memories that are as fresh and vivid today, six years later, as they were on that beautiful September day in 2001, and that is another memory. I'll never forget how gorgeous September 11, 2001 was. It was a clear, bright, clean, crisp day. The temperature was wonderfully comfortable. It was the type of day in which it is easy to sit back and think, "All is well in the world."
But all is not well.
That is what I hope I never forget. I hope that, as a Christian, I will never be lulled into complacency. That I will never be so comfortable in this present world that I will be immune to the fact that every day, every breath is a gracious gift of the Father; an opportunity, not only to smell the roses and enjoy His majesty, but to reflect the glory of His Son and to proclaim the glorious gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
I pray that I will never forget that God the Father commands all people everywhere to repent. That He has fixed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by a Man whom He has appointed. That Man is Jesus Christ, God the Son, and we may be assured that this will happen because God has raised Him from the dead.

No comments: