Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Brokeback Bathroom

Larry Craig is a 62 year old married man; a three term Republican Senator from the potato capital of the country. Until recently he was the Senate liaison for the Romney campaign. Now he is simply the latest politician to be busted for lewd behavior. Sen. Craig was arrested on June 11 for lewd behavior in a Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport mens-room. He plead guilty to those charges on August 8. According to this StarTribune.com article, Sen. Craig now regrets his decision and wishes he had sought legal counsel before pleading guilty.
"I should have had the advice of counsel in resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have plead guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself quickly and expeditiously."
The man had an entire month to seek legal counsel. Why after he plead out does he now regret the decision? Well think about it. Would you want to be known as the "Brokeback Bathroom" Senator?
Here is another snippet from the StarTribune.com article.

According to police reports, Craig kept watching the undercover police officer through a crack in the bathroom stall. Craig then entered the next-door stall and placed his luggage against the opening under the stall door.

"My experience has shown that individuals engaging in lewd conduct use their bags to block the view from the front of their stall," said the officer, Sgt. Dave Karsnia.

The report continued: "At 1216 hours, Craig tapped his right foot. I recognized this as a signal used by persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct. Craig tapped his toes several times and moves his foot closer to my foot. ... The presence of others did not seem to deter Craig as he moved his right foot so that it touched the side of my left foot which was within my stall area."

The report said that Craig swiped his hand beneath the stall divider several times and that Karsnia showed his police identification under the stall...Roll Call reported that Craig was detained about 45 minutes and questioned by officers at the Airport Police Operations Center. At one point, police reports said, Craig handed the arresting officer a business card that identified him as a U.S. senator and said, "What do you think about that?"

I'm thinking a lot things. I think his behavior was disgusting. I think that all people who drop the "Don't you know who I am?!" line should spend at least one night in jail. I think (and have always thought) that it is foolish for Christians to wed themselves to a political party, as if their party paved the way to national righteousness.

Far too many conservative Christians and/or churches have hitched themselves to the GOP. I have no problem admitting that on many issues I am more closely aligned with the Grand Old Party than I am to the party which is in fact much older than the GOP. This does not mean that I am, or should be, a GOP hawk; pontificating from my pulpit the evils of the DEMS and the "values" of the GOP.

1 comment:

Fresh Dirt said...

Good stuff! People are always amazed when they find out that I do not immediately endorse the GOP. "But you work at a church," they exclaim. Then they automatically assume that I'm with the democrats. Once again, I surprise them. I long for a time (and perhaps its starting to happen) when we vote for people and issues based on the facts rather than party loyalties and hype.