Sunday, July 15, 2007

Good Books

Lately I have been a little slow on my reading. I’m currently involved with more books than I’ve finished. I am the type of reader who has several books going at once. I normally have one book for a certain part of the house, and whenever I’m in that section of the house I read that book. Of course, there are some books which I always have with me, but those selections are always the books I’m using as resource material for my Bible study. Since I’m preaching through Mark’s gospel I’m reading a lot of material on that Biblical book.

But that’s not all I’ve been reading. What follows is a synopsis of the three books that I have recently finished.

Conservative pundit Mark Steyn provides some fascinating demographic data in his book America Alone. Like most political commentators, from the right or the left, Steyn is a sarcastic know-it-all. Through the sarcasm and arrogance, however, is a valid thesis. What do you have when you add to the welfare state a multiculturalism attitude and a declining birthrate? If you answered “civilization collapse” then pat yourself on the back. Europe fits the above criteria. Muslims are immigrating to Europe in droves, taking advantage of the welfare system, and cranking out babies in 2 or 3 times the number of their European counterparts. Add to those facts that Muslims who live in France are more inclined to view themselves as Muslim and not French, and then you have the potential for social upheaval.

I followed America Alone with They Just Don’t Get It by Colonel David Hunt (US Army retired). I picked this book off the Barnes & Noble shelf for two reasons. First, I wanted to hear what Washington didn’t get, in the opinion of this retired Army colonel. The second reason is a personal one, and this is the primary reason for my reading this selection. My first battalion C.O. in the Army was, yes, you guessed it, Colonel David Hunt. Have you seen the movie A Few Good Men? Col. Hunt was a lot like Col. Jessup, except, as far as I could tell, he wasn’t a liar. He did have Jessup’s presence. What, In Col. Hunt’s mind, do the folks of Washington not get? That they are spineless jellyfish instead of leaders. That the bureaucracy is to large and inefficient to wage must less win the War on Terror. And to win this war, or any other, you have to kill the bad guys.

By far, the best book that I have lately read is Following Christ by Joe Stowell. Christianity is not a project it is a person, and Stowell clearly yet powerfully challenges the reader to drop his net, take up his cross and follow Christ. This is an excellent and challenging read. It’s not a self-help book. It’s not a book about increasing your self-esteem. It is a book about followership, and

I highly recommend it.

No comments: