Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Double Standard

GOP candidate and former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney had an interesting start to his campaign in New Hampshire yesterday. Read the following AP report:

Tue May 29, 12:30 PM ET

Mitt Romney’s visit to New Hampshire started on a sour note Tuesday when a restaurant patron declared he would not vote for the Republican presidential contender because of his faith.

“I’m one person who will not vote for a Mormon,” Al Michaud of Dover shouted at Romney when the former Massachusetts governor approached him inside Harvey’s Bakery. Romney was kicking off the second of two day’s worth of campaign visits in the lead primary state.

Romney kept smiling as he asked, “Can I shake your hand anyway?”

Michaud replied, “No.”

Michaud later told reporters he was not “a right-winger,” alluding to some evangelical Christians who have compared Romney’s faith to a cult. Instead, Michaud stated he was “a liberal.”

He said he planned to vote for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., should she win the Democratic presidential nomination.

If elected, Romney would be the first Mormon to serve in the White House.

While I feel that the “patron” was rude, his opinion of Romney, or Mormons for that matter, is not what has me chaffed. Read the title that Yahoo News ran over the above story Romney Criticized for Mormon Faith in NH“. Technically, I agree with the title. Romney was criticized for his faith. I cannot help but wonder; however, what the title would have been had a restaurant patron told Barack Obama, “I’m one person that will not vote for a black.”

Maybe I’m wrong, but I just do not believe that the title for that story would have read “Obama Criticized for Being Black”. The same holds true had Hilary been told, “I’m one person who will not vote for a woman.”

I do not think that anyone should withhold their vote from a candidate based strictly on race or gender. That is not the point of this post. I just think there is a double standard in the media.

No comments: